Should ``csh'' be part of the System V distribution?

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Fri May 27 14:03:33 AEST 1988

In article <4095 at mtgzz.UUCP>, avr at mtgzz.UUCP (XMRP50000[jcm]-a.v.reed) writes:

> Why would any sane person wish to use csh when they can use ksh?

Hey, that one's so easy, I can answer it!

The reason is the same as why we have compilers for silly languages like
Fortran or Pascal (oops, I can see the C/Pascal war starting already :-).
There are useful programs around that just happen to be written in the
csh dialect, and they won't run if you feed them to ksh.  If you have
csh available, it's a whole lot easier to use it than it is to rewrite
all those useful scripts.

I'd be using ksh here, too, if I had a spare $20K to pay for it.

(Hey, anyone wanna slip me an illicit copy?  Then I won't send you
any csh scripts any more. ;-)

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

You can't make a turtle come out.
	-- Malvina Reynolds