"Closing" control tty

Mike McNally m5 at lynx.UUCP
Fri May 27 02:18:14 AEST 1988

Here are several questions:

1)  Why is the TIOCNOTTY ioctl not documented?  Or maybe, why is it
    not documented in tty(4)?  Is there a better way of ending the
    current control tty association?

2)  Has anyone noticed problems with select and pty's, in that if
    a select (for input) is being performed on the master end of
    a pty, and the child is closed because its process dies, the
    select hangs?  I of course could be confused; it's pretty
    hard to tell what's going on in situations like this.

3)  Is there a good way of getting rid of "<exiting>" processes
    which are stuck on pty's and thus make the pty's unavailable?
    Seems like this question has been asked a lot recently, in
    some form or other.  My guess is "sure there's an easy way:
    reboot."

--
Mike McNally of Lynx Real-Time Systems

uucp: lynx!m5 (maybe pyramid!voder!lynx!m5 if lynx is unknown)