Detachable ptys (was Re: tset (BSD?))

Paul Placeway paul at morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu
Tue May 10 06:24:13 AEST 1988

In article <1235 at zen.UUCP> vic at zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
< In article <11797 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> *I* wrote:
< >                                                               Another
< >example is the CMU detachable ptys (a _really_ good idea): basically a
< >given pty is not hard-associated with the _same_ tty, but can be
< >assigned to an arbitrary free one (or one you allready own).  This
< >allows the user to hang up one terminal, and go to another and continue
< >the login session.  Naturally, since it was not invented at Berkeley, it
< >didn't make it into the distributions.  *sigh*
<
< Wow! Just what we've been looking for. We sometimes have to ``fix'' programs
< that Users have managed to confuse whilst they were using them. Grabbing the
< running process and terminal and making them on ours, fixing the problem and
< pushing it back all whilst talking to the User over the 'phone sounds
< excellent.

That is exactly one of the things this can be used for.  In general,
it's a real nice thing to have (I wish we did here at Ohio State).

I would like to appologize for the cheap shot at Berkeley.  It was
throughly unfair, to an organization that has done more for the
advancement of Unix than any other single public institution.  Contrary
to the tone of my above cheap shot, They have taken in a *lot* of
external additions/enhancements/etc.

Once again, I regret making the above hot-headed, stupid remark.

		-- Paul Placeway