Trouble killing processes in SysV/AT

Sue Peru Sr. root at uwspan.UUCP
Tue May 3 06:41:23 AEST 1988

+---- Wolf Paul writes in <3951 at killer.UUCP>
| Can anyone enlighten me as to what causes a process to become "immortal"
| in System VR2,  or Microport UNIX System V/AT, to be more specific?
+----

Microport users out there with the BETA everex tape driver try this:

	find . -print | cpio -ocv | strm -o /dev/rmt0

	with a WRITE PROTECTED tape!

	after the cpio starts spitting out the filenames, strm will
	hang (because of the R/O tape).  You can kill the find, the cpio,
	but not the strm!  Not only can't you kill it, you can't even
	start up another one cuz it has not released  /dev/rmt0.

	I'd like some more info on this before I bother Microport with it -
	is it just me?... :-)

While I'm at it, would y'all send me any lists of bugs you have found - I'd
like to compile a "user" buglist to contrast with the Microport supplied one...

	(mail to plocher at puff.cs.wisc.edu - this is the most reliable mail
	 site I have access to - Internet, uucp, cs-net, and bitnet mail
	 all can find this spot...)

  -John Plocher

	    ---- ...This bears repeating from time to time... ----

These are the automatic mailings avaliable to you.  To have one mailed
to you automatically, send a mail message to

			    microport at uwspan.uucp
				   -or-
		      ...!uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!microport

with the the subject described below.

The Subject: field should be	What will get mailed back to you	Size