question on disk sizes

sscalsk at nswc-wo.arpa sscalsk at nswc-wo.arpa
Tue May 10 23:58:30 AEST 1988

Setup: 2 disk Vax 750 running 4.2. An ra60 is the current system pack, an ra81
is the current user pack.

Having just received a new ra81 I am looking into reorganizing the disks. I
figure on making 1 ra81 the new system pack the second ra81 as the user pack
and keeping the ra60 as a removable volume. Pretty easy so far, but in looking
at ra81 partition sizes there does not exist a single configuration that
might best fit a two disk configuration (/, tmp, usr and swap on first disk and
swap and user files on the second disk). There always is some space on the
second disk unused. For example: second disk - partition b as swap
                                               partition h as user files
leaves a and g unused.

I dont mind leaving partition a as a spare but does it make sense to combine
the g and h partitions into a single larger partition? Is changing the
offset and block definitions in uda.c sufficient to make the merge?

Even looking at the uda50/mscp driver which has the 4.3BSD tables from uda.c
seem to still define a series of little partitions. Does anybody know the
rational behind this?

[DISCLAIMER: The preceding was brought to you by me and only me]

Stan Scalsky	Naval Surface Weapons Center - White Oak
ARPA:       sscalsk at nswc-wo.arpa
Compuserve: 70337,2015  BIX: sscalsky