problems with 11/84, dhu11, and 2.9BSD

Edward F. Beadel Jr. beadel at oswego.oswego.edu
Tue May 24 05:51:29 AEST 1988

IN YOUR MAIL YOU SAY>

   >[]

   >I have recently been given the task of getting 2.9BSD running on a
   >PDP-11/84 with a dhu-11.  The person who was assigned to this task was
   >reassigned to another project and is not available for assistance.  We
   >acquired a driver, a Q-bus version, undefined the Q-bus specific code,
   >changed the dtab file in /etc and changed the probe routine in
   >autoconfig.  When we boot the system, we get the message "Serious
   >Configuration error" when autoconfig completes.  When taken to
   >multi-user mode, terminals connected to the dhu do not respond, and
   >eventually (after 3-4 minutes) we get a "panic: timeout table
   >overflow".  There are other problems, like ps giving "not enough
   >memory", but I feel the first priority is getting the dhu11 working
   >properly.  Can anyone tell me what is going on with this stuff?

   >Thanks for your help.

First which of the many versions of 2.9bsd do you have? The original Berekely
code or the code as modified by Harvard and The Center for Seismic Studies
(sometimes referred to as the CSS version) or the CSS version as modified
here at Oswego? We don't have a PDP-11/84 so I can't say that we've run
any of the 2.9's on one, but since the 84 is supposed to be a 73 with a
Q-bus to Unibus converter on it, I'd guess that the processor type of
PDP-11/70 might be the correct option.

If you could get back with which version you are running, our Systems
Programmer, Paul Taylor may be able to help you. His address is
taylor at oswego.oswego.edu.

-ed

Edward F. Beadel, Jr., Assistant Director
Instructional Computing Center
SUNY College at Oswego                 beadel at oswego.Oswego.EDU
Oswego, NY  13126 (315)-341-3055