Hamilton Group Announcement

Eric J. Johnson eric at hdr.UUCP
Fri May 27 23:28:31 AEST 1988

In article <4734 at watdcsu.waterloo.edu> dmcanzi at watdcsu.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) writes:
>In article <233 at mcf.UUCP> shan at mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) writes:
>>They expect to work with established Standarad
>>Organizations, OSF members, Universities and Res. Orgn, and issue
>>Newsletters, Spec Docs, Source Code (wow!), and work on
>>sublicensing rights.    ^^^^^^ ^^^^
>
>A promise to provide source may not be (1) a promise to provide all the
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting.  My understanding is that AIX is being considered as the OSF
base OS.  If that is not true, press 'n' now...

An IBM representative came to speak to our local UNIX users group this
month.  His topic: AIX.  One question we asked him was regarding the
availability of source code for AIX.  His response:  "Source code to AIX
will NOT be available.  IBM has spent too much money on AIX to
be passing around its source."  He quoted a figure of 200 million that
IBM has spent to date on AIX development...

--
Eric J. Johnson         UUCP: eric at hdr.UUCP || ...!{ihnp4, codas}!hdr!eric
Amperif Corporation.    CIS: 72460,11  BIX: ericj

Just a minute, Just a minute, The AE-35 unit will go 100% failure in 72 hours!