access(2) (was: Writing to A NON-Existing File in "C")

Michael I. Bushnell mike at turing.UNM.EDU
Sun May 1 11:25:35 AEST 1988

In article <2089 at munnari.oz> mwp at munnari.oz (Michael Paddon) writes:
>in article <975 at unmvax.unm.edu>, mike at turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) says:
>> [Here I made a stupid mistake about the behavior of su(1).]

>"Su" on all the BSD and SunOs systems I have come across changes
>both the real and effective uid/gid and the group access list.
>If this were not so, many programs would not run from a "su" shell
>because their authors used "access". :-) Your "su" behaviour is,
>perhaps, System V madness.

I KNOW, now.  I foolishly posted first and checked later.  We run REAL
4.3 BSD...I just goofed.  From the myriad of mail and other related posts,
I gather that the SysV behavior is the same as the BSD.
                N u m q u a m   G l o r i a   D e o

			Michael I. Bushnell
			HASA - "A" division
14308 Skyline Rd NE				Computer Science Dept.
Albuquerque, NM  87123		OR		Farris Engineering Ctr.
	OR					University of New Mexico
mike at turing.unm.edu				Albuquerque, NM  87131
{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing.unm.edu!mike