transparent archiving

Chet Ramey chet at mandrill.CWRU.Edu
Sat May 21 04:57:40 AEST 1988

In article <11590 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

[discussion of a scheme to store files on tape until accessed]

>The obvious way to do this is with portals.  Too bad they never got
>written.  You can try U of Wisconsin's `watchdogs' (see winter 1988
>Usenix proceedings), which are more or less the same idea.

Those are the University of Washington's `watchdogs'.

The authors are Brian Bershad and C. Brian Pinkerton, both of the
U. of Washington Computer Science Department.  (The article is
pretty interesting, by the way; I like the concept.)

Their addresses are given as {brian,bp}@june.cs.washington.edu; I
suppose requests for info should be directed there.

Chet Ramey

(Boy, it's not often that one catches Chris in error, even one this
minor :-))

--
| Chet Ramey    chet at mandrill.ces.CWRU.Edu  {cbosgd,decvax,sun}!mandrill!chet |