Uses for access time

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Fri May 6 10:41:59 AEST 1988

> I tried this on several systems, and it seems that you are correct for
> BSD (at least the Ultrix and SunOS versions), but not for SysV (again at
> least Xenix and 2B2/300 flavors).

I tried it on a 3B2/400 running S5R3.1 and the access time *is* updated when
you run a program; it should be, since I consider running a program to count as
an "access".  Maybe the releases you were running were broken, or maybe older
versions of UNIX didn't do this but somebody thought better of it later?