KSH portability

Paul Fox fox at alice.marlow.reuters.co.uk
Tue May 10 03:15:10 AEST 1988

In article <4063 at mtgzz.UUCP> avr at mtgzz.UUCP (XMRP50000[jcm]-a.v.reed) writes:
>In article <631 at vsi.UUCP>, friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>>
>> Note that porting ksh is not at all a task for the novice; it is
>> not (to put it politely) "maximally portable".
>
>Either you have had an experience you ought to tell us more about, or
>you owe Dave Korn a public apology.
>
>				Adam Reed (mtgzz!avr)
Well, I managed to get it running on Xenix/386 very easily. Xenix/286 was
a different kettle of fish. In fact I couldnt spare the time to do the work.
I was pretty much appalled that the korn-shell would not work. It core
dumps on start-up, and I strongly suspect that there is some dependancy
in there expecting pointers and int's to be the same size. Could have been
due to the malloc routines. Anyway, I do not expect these sorts of
problems to be present in such a widely used and distributed piece of software.
The shell-script/makefile is an ab*rtion if ever I saw one.

Thumbs down for this one, I'm afraid.

     //        o      All opinions are my own.
   (O)        ( )     The powers that be ...
  _/_/   _/_/         UUCP:     fox at alice.marlow.reuters.co.uk