C - development under UNIX - XENIX

Dennis G. Rears FSAC drears at ardec.arpa
Sat May 7 04:49:12 AEST 1988

Michael Deutsch  <deutsch at jplgodo.uucp> writes:

MD>These are questions for "C" and "UNIX" hackers.
MD>
MD>Your answer to all of these or a few will be greatly appreciated.
MD>
MD>1. A UNIX function call equivalent to: "mkdir" command is???

   mkdir(2) is available on some unixes.  If it is not available on
yours try mknod(2).  You must be root to run this call though.

MD>2. A programm running with "setuid" privilege, i.e.: -rwsr-xr-x
MD>   tries to create directory and fails when executed by non-root,
MD>   however, it works when executed by root, why???

    Is the program set to the right owner?

MD>3. How to issue an "lp/lpr" command from the program without
MD>   diagnostic popping up on the terminal???

	Redirect stdin and stderr to /dev/null or some other file.

MD>4. Which header file or type contains info on the file, i.e. (size,
MD>   date created, date modified, number of links, etc.).

    Try  /usr/include/sys/stat.h.  The system call would be stat(2)
and fstat(2).

I can't help with the other stuff now.  I help this helps.

Dennis
ARPA:	drears at ardec-ac4.arpa	UUCP:  	...!uunet!ardec-ac4.arpa!drears
AT&T:	201-724-6639		Snailmail:	Box 210, Wharton, NJ 07885
Flames:	/dev/null		Reincarnation: newton!babbage!patton!drears
Work:	SMCAR-FSS-E, Dennis Rears, Bldg 94, Picatinny Ars, NJ 07806