Hamilton Group Announcement

George W. Leach reggie at pdn.UUCP
Wed May 25 09:16:18 AEST 1988

In article <233 at mcf.UUCP> shan at mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) writes:

>They will work and make available industry standards, solicit
>inputs and technology, use a vendor-neutral (?) decision process,
>give equal and early access to specs and development and do some
>research as well. They expect to work with established Standarad
>Organizations, OSF members, Universities and Res. Orgn, and issue
>Newsletters, Spec Docs, Source Code (wow!), and work on
>sublicensing rights.

     Somehow I don't think we will ever see this happen.  This is all
just a smokescreen.  In fact, it is already having an effect.  I just
finished speaking with a hardware vendor this evening and spoke with
a software vendor a day or two ago on UNIX-related matters.  Both told
me that they are either changing direction or revisiting policy due to
this action!

     It is all creating confussion, not only for the end user community,
who know nothing but what they read in the trade rags, but also for those
vendors in the middle: the third world vendors, who are looking to UNIX
for their business.  The end user community will read this nonsense and
immediately head for the safe, steady familiar shores of IBM OS/2.  That
is the intention here.  Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to wake up to
IBM's marketing ploy.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207