Counting sh users

Cesar Quiroz quiroz at cs.rochester.edu
Thu May 19 07:20:18 AEST 1988

This is an aside to the currently going discussion about the merits
of including csh in the standard Sys V distribution (on which I have
no opinion, so I changed the Subject line, excuse me the breach of
accepted etiquette).

>From article <2593 at polyslo.UUCP> (jeff at polyslo.UUCP (Skippy The Wonder Hacker)):
:
:  The system that I run is the major unix machine for the university.
:Here is the breakdown on shells:
:
:	csh(actually tcsh):	740
:	sh:			  5
:

I tried same in our systems and discovered NO sh users.  Now, that
is peculiar, as I know of at least one.  Careful inspection showed
that his entry in the /etc/passwd didn't have a shell field.   That
defaults to /bin/sh.  So, you too might be undercounting your sh
users, if their entries are just defaulting.

Not that this has much to do with anything that is being discussed.

--
Cesar Augusto Quiroz Gonzalez
Department of Computer Science     ...allegra!rochester!quiroz
Rochester,  NY 14627               quiroz at cs.rochester.edu