Open Software Foundation

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Mon May 30 10:55:36 AEST 1988

> To help the situation, why doesn't someone from AT&T or Sun  put out a
> statement saying that the V.4 or  whatever will NOT be Sparc-dependant
> & will run on  all  chips.

OK:

S5R4 will not be SPARC-dependent.

It will run on at least the following:

	68K (a small California computer maker named Sun Microsystems has a
	     product line that includes 68K-based machines, and I think they'd
	     insist on it running on 68Ks; furthermore, Unisoft is talking
	     about doing a 68K port of it for Motorola)

	80386 (a small California computer maker named Sun Microsystems - OK,
	       in this case a small Massachusetts computer maker named Sun
	       Microsystems :-) - and a small New Jersey computer maker named
	       AT&T both have product lines that include 80386-based machines,
	       and I think they'd insist on it running on 80386s)

	SPARC (a small California computer maker - oh, you've heard this one
	       before...)

	WE32K (a small New Jersey computer maker....)

and, from what I've seen, I assume it will also run on:

	88K (Unisoft is also taking about doing an 88K port)

	MIPS R[23]K (they also have a deal with AT&T to develop an ABI)

As for it running on any other chips, that's really up to the chip vendors;
neither AT&T nor Sun are really in the business of porting it to every chip
out there.

I believe AT&T has stated that they will put out:

	1) a 3B2 (WE32K) port

followed by

	2) a SPARC port, presumably to some future AT&T SPARC-based machine

and

	3) an 80386 port, presumably to the AT&T 6386 or somesuch machine.