Selectively disable login at specified line?

Barry Shein bzs at xenna
Thu Oct 6 13:02:05 AEST 1988

From: gfl at tuhold (Gerhard Fleischanderl)
>Is it possible to notify getty(8) or login(1) of a list of users
>who are granted login at the specified line?

Can't say I've thought it through but you might consider writing your
own /bin/login which checks access and then execs the vendor supplied
login (or exits.) Just move the current login somewhere else for
execing and consider the case where people run /bin/login during
interactive sessions.

And do be careful as a broken login can cramp a system (tho you should
be able to fix it in single user mode as login isn't needed then.)

It's not ideal, but it might put it all under your control.

I really wish AT&T would free up a few programs like login and getty
as sources distributed with binary licenses. Some people really do
need to add their own logic to these things for various reasons.

Maybe someday there'll be a workable GNU version of these programs.

But lo, I wander...

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||