Line Buffered output

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Oct 4 00:18:29 AEST 1988

In article <13765 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> In article <1613 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >The problem of handling stdout and stdin is a solved
> >problem: do a flushbuf on all interactive streams whenever you do a
> >fillbuf on any interactive stream. ...

> `Backwards compatibility means we get to keep all our old mistakes.'

> I guarantee that if we change this in 4.4BSD, people will complain about
> how we broke it.

But it's *Berkeley* that had the smart stdio in the first place! I know
that I ran into this on 2.something at Berkeley in 1980 and thought it
was way-cool. When and why was it removed, or did it just not get migrated
to 4BSD?

And providing another putc won't help 'printf("%s-> ", mode);' and other
prompt-like stuff. Nor will it help the overall speed problem.

Sideways compatibility?
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter at ficc.uu.net