Encore Annex II help

Win Strickland Jr win at gatech.edu
Fri Oct 28 08:36:03 AEST 1988

In article <17555 at gatech.edu>, win at gatech.edu (I wrote) writes:
> We've recently received an Annex II box running Annex-UX R4.0.
> During installation and testing everything seems to work smoothly
> as advertised, and it's a really nice box.
>
> However, we've run up against a security problem with the Annex II and
> some workstations.  I'd rather not go into details here for obvious
> reasons.

After talking with someone from Encore today (thanks John!) we
figured out what the problem was.  The problem stems from the way
that some manufacturers default their hosts.equiv file and the way
the Annex box presents its rlogin request to a machine.

Because the Annex box is not handling users in a secure way, you should
NOT let an Annex box be in your trusted hosts list in hosts.equiv.

If you want more details, please communicate via e-mail.

--
Win Strickland Jr	School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:		win at gatech.edu postmaster at gatech.edu root at gatech.edu
UUCP:			...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!win