query: new disk drive for VAX

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Fri Oct 7 15:01:49 AEST 1988

In article <4559 at lynx.UUCP> m5 at lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:

>One interesting thing about Maxtors: we have a 5.25 inch full-height
>SCSI drive (170MB).  It only responds to the "test unit ready" command
>when it's ready; otherwise, the command isn't acknowledged.  Think
>about it.

>From ANS X3.121-1986 (p.62):
  "The TEST UNIT READY command (table 7-2) provides a means to check if the
logical unit is ready.  This is not a request for a self test.  If the logical
unit would accept an appropriate medium-access command without returning
CHECK CONDITION status, this command shall return a GOOD status."

See -- it says nothing about what to do if the drive is not ready :-)
I expect that the correct response would be BUSY.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)