a.out 1> file.out 2> file.err in csh?

Sun NCAA matthew at sunpix.UUCP
Thu Oct 27 00:12:14 AEST 1988

> Hate to be this cluelessly stupid, but something's been bugging the
> hell out of me- how do you do the Bourne :
>
> 	a.out 1> file.stdout 2> file.stderr
>
> in the csh?  ("a.out > file.stdout >& file.stderr" doesn't cut it,
> since ">&" is defined to be BOTH stdout and stderr, hence is an
> ambiguous redirection)

Check out this little clipping from my online man page.

     The only way to direct  the  standard  output  and  standard
     error separately is by invoking a subshell, as follows:

          tutorial% (command > outfile) >& errorfile

     Although robust enough for general use, adventures into  the
     esoteric  periphery  of  the  C-Shell  may reveal unexpected
     quirks.

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"