rlogin over trusted hosts...

Bruce G. Barnett barnett at vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com
Mon Oct 17 20:12:44 AEST 1988

In article <14006 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy (Chris Torek) writes:
>If you use hosts.equiv as it is intended, none.

There is one other use for older 4.2 BSD systems: access to printers.

That is, if you want to spool to a printer that is connected to a
machine you do not trust, you have a slight problem.

Older versions of lpd look at /etc/hosts.equiv to determine
access privileges. Therefore on the surface printer access implies
rlogin access. Newer systems (4.3bsd, SunOS 4.0, Ultrix 2.0)
have /etc/hosts.lpd in addition to hosts.equiv.

If you have an older version, you can use emacs to edit /usr/lib/lpd,
changing /etc/hosts.equiv to /etc/hosts.print.

Question:

	What is a minimmum password file?

I have in the past created a stripped down password file for
a workstation I want increased security on.

Can a password file be reduced to two users, root and myself? Three? Four?
--
	Bruce Barnett	uunet!steinmetz!barnett