Preventing users to boot VS2000 to single user

Shankar Unni shankar at hpclscu.HP.COM
Sat Oct 29 05:49:51 AEST 1988

> running Ultrix. The Stations have their own system disk. I want to
> prevent the users of the stations to boot their system single user.

A simple trick is to prompt the user for a special password (from /etc/rc,
using /dev/console for input) if booting single user. If the user cannot supply
the password, reboot the system (and call security :-)).

    if /etc/singlepass; then
       # .. OK
    else
       echo "Sorry, buzz off!"
       /etc/shutdown  # or reboot, if you're brave..
    fi

/etc/singlepass should read from /dev/console..
--
Shankar