Reasons for restricting su privilege?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu
Fri Oct 21 23:23:40 AEST 1988

eirik at tekcrl.TEK.COM (Eirik Fuller) writes:
   ) Personally, I advocate a menu-driven setuid-root program which allows
   ) for exactly the set of things which a not-normally-administrator
   ) person might possibly have to do in order to stay alive while a real
   ) admin is unavailable.

   Yeah, sure, but what if this spiffy menu contraption allows its luser
   to make new accounts?  "Gee, maybe I'll make an account with uid 0,..."

I guess I can only say that account creation is not something that a
stopgap pseudoadmin would need or be allowed to do.  The definition of
what a pseudoadmin needs to do would have to be decided by experience.

I don't agree with giving out the root password to more than a bare
minimal set.

--Karl