More notes from V.4.0 software developer conference (LONG)

Chris Calabrese[rs] cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Sat Oct 8 07:06:46 AEST 1988

In article <1988Oct6.183106.1110 at utzoo.uucp>, henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <10421 at tekecs.TEK.COM> andrew at frip.gwd.tek.com (Andrew Klossner) writes:
> > [...]
>
> I trust everyone got a good laugh out of this.  The way to discard one
> of the three shells is to discard it, now.  Same thing for the other stuff:

I heartily agree.  The obvious solution (in my mind) is to
'ln /bin/ksh /bin/sh'.  Since ksh will work (almost) exactly like
sh (most of the differences being bugs in sh)
without the various environment variables which turn on history, etc.
defined, there is no reason not to do this.

The only problem I can think of off the top of my head is the
behavior of 'echo \c'.

BTW, we did this a long time ago around here, and I have done
so on my own personal machine.
--
--------
	Christopher J. Calabrese