File specification regularity

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Fri Oct 21 09:09:50 AEST 1988

As quoted from <e6mjy#paC6X=eric at snark.UUCP> by eric at snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond):
+---------------
| > (is someone else)
| > Thus, you can't be sure that every utility you use will understand
| > $NEWS_ROOT, in which case you have to remember the entire path.
| > (I may be totally wrong about Unix here. If so, please correct me.)
|
| This is exactly what UNIX links are for, especially BSD-style symbolic
| links (which AT&T is supposedly including in 4.0).
+---------------

If I read that long message aright, they're also supporting generalized
mounts:  mount ANY directory on ANY other directory (possibly only over
the network, but I hope not).  This is in some ways even nicer than
symlinks.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
allbery at skybridge.sdi.cwru.edu	      <ALSO>		   allbery at uunet.uu.net
comp.sources.misc is moving off ncoast -- please do NOT send submissions direct
  (But the aliases are NOT on UUNET yet, use the aliases at backbone sites!)