query: new disk drive for VAX

Phil Ngai phil at amdcad.AMD.COM
Sat Oct 8 05:30:47 AEST 1988

In article <10209 at eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs at fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>Not true.  Maxtor offers a version of its drive which supports
>synchronous SCSI and claims 4MB/s transfers.  I do not believe it
>costs much (any?) more than the slower (15 Mb/s, I believe) ESDI version.

Ah, but is that 4 MB/s throughput, or just the rate it runs on
the synchronous SCSI? It's like the difference between a computer
with a 10 Mbit/s Ethernet and 85 Kbit/s throughput. The reason I
ask is because 4 MB/s sounds like a generic synch SCSI figure.

--
"In the West, to waste water is not to consume it, to let it flow unimpeded
and undiverted down rivers. Use of water is, by definition, beneficial use."
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil at amd.com