a.out 1> file.out 2> file.err in csh?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Sat Oct 29 13:58:42 AEST 1988

>	   Do any shells out there (besides sh) handle redirecting stderr
>   INDEPENDENT of stdout?
>
>ksh, as supplied by Cydrome did. I think it is part of the ksh defn.

Either "ksh" stands for "Korn shell", in which case it doesn't really
count - the Korn shell is supposed to be basically upward-compatible
with the Bourne shell, so it handles redirecting stderr independently of
stdout because the Bourne shell does - or it doesn't stand for "Korn
shell", in which case

	1) its creator should have thought of a better name, to avoid
	   confusion

and

	2) some additional information on what this "ksh" is might be
	   interesting.