A few problems with BSD

John Robert LoVerso loverso at xenna.Encore.COM
Fri Oct 7 05:17:30 AEST 1988

In article <10194 at eddie.MIT.EDU> nessus at athena.mit.edu (Doug Alan) writes:
> The following are a few problems I've had with 4.3BSD on a uVax II...
>
>    (1) If you accidentally attempt to boot a system on a disk drive
>        for which there is no partition table in the kernal, BSD kindly
>        trashes the filesystem for you.

In the recent "4.3-Tahoe" release, BSD now will store disk partition
information on the pack itself, thus completely preventing this type
of problem.

> Is swap space also supposed to begin a cylinder boundary, or does
> it make no difference?

It makes no difference, but you'll make better use of your space by
using whole cylinders.

John R LoVerso
Encore Computer Corp
encore!loverso, loverso at multimax.arpa, [full moon only: loverso at encore.com]