Need help with serial line device driver

Bill Lampman bill at ftp.COM
Fri Oct 21 02:26:32 AEST 1988

Hi,
	I'm trying to write a SLIP (serial line IP) 'driver' for SCO
	Xenix '286. I've already gotten the IP kernel code running
	and I'm able to get SLIP packets from the serial ports via
	'cat < /dev/tty1a', but I need to have the data from the
	serial port available to the IP kernel code for demultiplexing
	and checksumming, etc.

	Does anyone know how I can access the serial line data without
	having a daemon running to read the data and then write it back to
	the kernel ? This scheme would cause way too much overhead.

	Any help/advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
	Bill

Bill Lampman @ FTP Software		UUCP:	...harvard!ftp!bill
					ARPA:	bill at ftp.com
...sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own...