suid/sgid shell scripts (was "Re: System V Release 4")

Andrew Klossner andrew at frip.gwd.tek.com
Thu Oct 13 00:46:38 AEST 1988

To clarify, the effect in V.4.0 of executing a shell script with the
setuid or setgid bit set is exactly the same as though neither of those
bits were set.

This is the right thing to do for security reasons.

My bias: I'm a Berkeley-phile, I think all AT&T releases after v7 have
sucked.  But V.4.0 looks like I'll be able to live with it.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!tekecs!frip!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.gwd.tek.com at relay.cs.net)  [ARPA]