End-of-file character (was script > mumble)

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Tue Oct 18 07:13:58 AEST 1988

> While we're on the subject, I have read the SVID termio(ba_env) section
> several times, and cannot tell whether there is any general way of
> disabling individual elements of c_cc[] or not.  Setting c_cc[VEOL] to
> ASCII NUL appears to disable that feature.  In DYNIX V3.0.12 NFS,
> SunOS 3.2, and UNIX System V/386 Release 3.0, setting c_cc[VKILL] to
> ASCII NUL merely makes ^@ the kill character.  Does anyone know which
> elements of c_cc[] can be suppressed and which can't?

My Sys/V  manual here says "These functions may be disabled
individually by changing the value of the control character
to an unlikely or impossible value (e.g., 0377)."  In other
words, the answer to your question is "No, there is no way
guaranteed to disable individual elements of c_cc[]."

Don't you love it when they phrase things in such a way as
to give the impression that something works, when in fact
it doesn't, and they know it?  (:-{(>

(That's a bald hacker with a moustache, a frown, and a goatee. ;-)

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,
not in the fingers that did the typing.]