Papers on Layered UNIX systems like Apollo VRM, Apollo SR10, etc.

Craig Harmer craig at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com
Tue Oct 4 16:36:53 AEST 1988

In article <5694 at killer.DALLAS.TX.US> u-word!egs at killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Schnoebelen) writes:

>	Anybody tried talking to Amdahl recently?  They had a big booth
>at the Feburary UniForum promoting their UTS ( System V based ) port to
>IBM plug compatible machines, both native and guest under VM.

>--
>Eric Schnoebelen
>( just nobody in particular... )

Amdahl has a System V based Unix which runs on Amdahl (and IBM-compatible)
hardware.  It's the "Most powerful Unix machine in the world" native, and
it also runs under VM (though not as fast).  Amdahl's hardware is faster
than IBM's, so it beats an Unix IBM has (yet) to deliver.

Sorry, i don't think we've written any papers on the subject of running
under VM.  There's really not alot to say, aside from paying attention to
all the idiosyncracies of whatever VM you're running under, in order to
get decent performance.  It's particularly hard to get decent performance
using virtual memory as a "Virtual Operating System".
George Bush snorts Contra coke.			craig at uts.amdahl.com
						{uunet,sun,decwrl}!amdahl!craig

[views above shouldn't be viewed as Amdahl views, or as views from Amdahl, or
as Amdahl views views, or as views by Mr. Amdahl, or as views from his house]