Need help with serial line device driver

Matt Crawford matt at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Sat Oct 22 03:36:56 AEST 1988

) >In article <385 at ftp.COM> bill at ftp.COM (Bill Lampman) writes:
) >>kernel code for demultiplexing and checksumming, etc.  Does anyone know
) >>how I can access the serial line data without having a daemon running to
) >>read the data and then write it back to the kernel ? This scheme would

	[ two responses deleted ]

I think the answers I've seen are on the wrong track.  I believe Bill
just needs to know how to have his driver put the received packet on the
input queue for the IP module.  I don't know Xenix so I can't give an
exact answer, but in 4.[23] the device driver checks to see whether the
IP input queue is full and, if it isn't, places the new packet on the
queue and sets a bit or tickles a software interrupt so that the IP
module will examine its input queue in the near future.  Look for macros
or functions with names like IF_ENQUEUE or schednetisr.  (Then try to
guess how they work!)
				Matt Crawford