Secure setuid shell scripts

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Oct 27 04:46:24 AEST 1988

In article <307 at lakart.UUCP> dg at lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) suggests:
-#! /bin/sh -
-rather than plain old:
-#! /bin/sh
-This closes up the security hole very nicely here (unless there's some
-sneaky way of getting in that I didn't know about).

Yes, there is a sneaky way that you did not know about.

-it was suggested that if no symbolic links existed, then by denying
-write permission to general users on all filesystems where suid 0 reside
-the problem could be reduced.

That would work around this particular bug.

-As an aside on the IFS problem: the following is taken from man 1 sh:
-          IFS  Internal field separators, normally space, tab,
-               and newline.  IFS is ignored if sh is running as
-               root or if the effective user id differs from the
-               real user id.

IFS should *never* be imported; with any luck I may get this fixed in
4.4BSD.