what does "UNIX" really stand for? (also Plan 9)

Kirk Lillis kirkl at ism780c.isc.com
Thu Oct 27 00:11:43 AEST 1988

In article <2156 at cloud9.UUCP> bob at cloud9.UUCP (Bob Toxen) writes:
>> The way I heard it was as follows.  ... "You: nix!", ...
>Sorry, no.  UNIX is a play on names of Multics.  The latter was supposed
>to be all things to all people with every feature including the
>kitchen sink.  The modern counterpart is Ada.
>
>Ken conceived of UNIX as one thing to one person and its simple elegence,
>high performance, easier programming has made it much less popular than
>DOS which has uh, um, ahh...

The way I recall it (from Tannenbaum's book on operating systems) is that
MULTICS stood for MULTiplexed Information and Computing Service.  An associate
of Dennis and Ken's at Bell Labs called their scaled down version UNICS, for
UNiplexed Information and Computing Service.  This nameplay evolved into UNIX.

--KirkL