Selectively disable login at specified line?

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Sat Oct 1 03:09:45 AEST 1988

>We want to restrict login-access at a specified terminal line
>to a group of designated users, with the other ttys still
>accessible to all users.
>Our machine is a VAX 11/750 running Ultrix 1.0.

>I know of the "secure" option in Ultrix 2.x, but that would not
>be sufficient, either.

The secure option may not be what you want here, but there is another
approach, especially if you don't need to do anything fancy before
reading the user's login name (like speed selection).  The
/etc/ttys file specifies the program to be run to capture the
login name: typically /etc/getty.  You can use any program of your
own design instead, however.  The functions of getty are, essentially,

	1.  set the line to the correct speed and modes, and

	2.  collect the user's login name, and exec login

Even though you don't have source, writing a getty replacement shouldn't
be too hard.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,uunet}!mtxinu!ed    +1 415 644 0146

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."