ASCII

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Sat Oct 29 05:43:08 AEST 1988

In article <359 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
| In article <1988Oct24.201751.19602 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
| ...ASCII is a single, well-defined, well-specified character set, with no
|
| Except, of course, for LINE FEED/NEWLINE.

  I think Henry's right. There is no newline in ASCII, it's a feature(?)
of the C language, and should not be confused with a real character. If
C had only used a non-carriage control character to delimit records,
say... the record separator character, there would be less hassle with
when is it a newline and when is it carriage control.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)