Selectively disable login ...? ("access" solution)

Gerhard Fleischanderl gfl at tuhold
Wed Oct 5 20:20:24 AEST 1988

>From article <47723 at rebel.UUCP>, by george at rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe):
> In article <1227 at tuhold> gfl at tuhold (Gerhard Fleischanderl) writes:
>> We want to restrict login-access at a specified terminal line  [...]
>
> Over the years I have seen this question asked again and again.  I
> wanted to essentially do this and a few similar things myself.  [...]
>
> Anyway, I wrote a program called access and have been using it for
> about a year.  July 19th, I sent it to comp.sources.unix so that
> everyone who wanted it could use it.  Well, it still hasn't been posted
> (I'm now considering sending it to comp.sources.misc).  [...]
>
> The manual page follows, let me know what you think.
>   [...]

According to its manual page, "access" would solve my problem
and even more (cheers for George).
Flexible control of user access at specified lines must be of
interest to many system managers. So many sites would appreciate
the distribution of "access" via USENET News, not just me.

PS:
I got several mails in response to my original question.
They proposed solutions similar to those posted to this group,
e.g., writing a program like "access", or (for SysV) modifying
/etc/profile ((un)fortunately, Ultrix is not SysV although it
includes a good many things).

Gerhard Fleischanderl
--
Institut f. Angewandte Informatik, Technical University Vienna, Austria