DES algorithm on UNIX.

John M Vinopal tecc015 at ucscc.UCSC.EDU
Thu Apr 27 14:06:20 AEST 1989

	From smm.18 BSD UNIX 4.3, some information is provided
about DES under UNIX.  Specifically that 25 passes through the
algorithm are performed.  I've been unable to verify this --
standard info says that only 16 passes are employed.  Anyone have
the know on this?

	Also, the permutation matrices (S-Boxes), or at least one
of them is apparently salt dependent.  Is this box #6 as I've heard
rumoured?  I know the whole background of the S-boxes is classified,
but is the implimentation under UNIX able to be discussed?

******

	KneeDeep in Research and drowning in the DES

	tecc015 at ucscc.UCSC.EDU
	ucbvax!ucscc!tecc015