Why does 'fortune' write on the fortunes.dat file?

Jim Haynes haynes at ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Apr 13 15:01:31 AEST 1989

On a MtXinu 4.3BSD + NFS system we tried putting the fortune program
and its library on a filesystem that is mounted read only.  Doesn't
work, as the program wants to open the fortunes.dat file read/write.
Before I go digging through the code, does anybody know why and what
it is going to write?
haynes at ucscc.ucsc.edu haynes at ucscc.bitnet ...ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle