invoking write from cron

Mike Hoffman mhoffman at infocenter.UUCP
Thu Apr 27 06:06:19 AEST 1989

in article <175 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, tomc at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Tom Corsetti) says:

> I'm trying to set up a script that runs from cron, checks files
> and sends me a message when certain files change in size.  I have
> the following code in the script that sends the message:
>         echo "message to send" | write userid

I've found the best solution to this (and many other similar tasks) is
Kenneth Ingham's "watcher" program. It runs from cron and uses a control
file to check on most anything you want it to, and compares the results
of its check to previous runs. It will send mail, so you can have "biff y"
and achieve the same results as "write userid".

Watcher should be available through your local comp.sources.misc archive
site. For general information, the author's address:

		Kenneth Ingham  <ingham at charon.unm.edu>
		University of New Mexico Computing Center
		2701 Campus NE
		Albuquerque, NM 87131

See also:

	"Keeping Watch over the Flocks by Night (and day), Kenneth Ingham,
		Summer 198 Usenix proceedings.

Hope this helps.