Reading from stderr

David Goodenough dg at lakart.UUCP
Thu Apr 20 02:32:13 AEST 1989

>From article <5451 at lynx.UUCP>, by m5 at lynx.uucp (Mike McNally):
> Oh well, I guess I should change the question a little:  what's the
> advantage of having "/dev/tty" behave the way it does in this respect?
> That is, would a massive catastrophe occur if a file descriptor
> returned from an open request on "/dev/tty" was a real honest-to-gosh
> dup of the control tty file descriptor?

The only real problem would be for daemons and the like which have no
controlling tty. But I suppose that open / the /dev/tty driver could be
made clever enough to make this work as well (i.e. select action based on
whether the process has a controlling tty or not).

Of course _REAL_ operating systems (like I run on pallio) have
stdkbd defined, so I can _ALWAYS_ get at the terminal input line
when I need it. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

		Comments anyone?
--
	dg at lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+