descriptors vs pathnames (was Re: getcwd() and friends.)

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Sat Apr 22 02:16:07 AEST 1989

In article <1277 at ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> Greg.Noel at SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel) writes:
>In article <6839 at bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>>It is, however, desirable to have permissions for the evaluation of the
>>name too, for sometimes you don't want them to know even what it is
>>they don't know anything about.
>
>Seriously, your point is well taken; but the thing about the opaque object
>was that it could just as easily represent a non-existant object -- the
>operations on it "look like" they still work, so the user of the object
>doesn't know what it is they don't know anything about....

These two statements taken together may just form the DoD-spec version
of VMS, logicals and all.  I'll go look-see and get back to you on
that...

				--Blair
				  "Almost got the microfilm into
				   my vt340 now; just a few more