inode #1

Michael Henning michi at anvil.oz
Tue Apr 11 10:47:53 AEST 1989

I just did a "find / -inum 1 -print" on an AIX and a Xenix 386 system. As
it turns out, inode 1 is not used. The root inode of every file system is 2.
Can anyone tell me why inode 1 is not used anywhere ?  It seems that it
could be used, since if 0 indicates that a directory entry is free, why
not use inode 1 like any other inode ?

					Michi.
--
               | The opinions expressed are my own, not those of my employer. |