Improving on SYSV Msgs Queues

Cameron Fraser fraser at mdivax1.uucp
Sat Apr 8 07:01:08 AEST 1989

	We build message switching systems to link our radio data networks
	with various type of host computers.  Upto now the systems have
	been based on SYSV message queues because they offer us the
	best combination of portability (ATT/DEC/COMPAQ/etc.) and speed.
	However the shortcomings particularly the inability to do the
	equivalent of poll() or select() on multiple queues really hinders
	design.  We looked at streams but backed away because of portability
	concerns and are now looking at a simple pseudo-device driver.
	I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has tackled this problem
	already or who is interested in working on it (for instance
	demonstrating portability to their own environment).

Cameron Fraser                   uunet!van-bc!mdivax1!fraser
Product Development              (604) 277-1511
Mobile Data International        ENVOY 100: mdi.fraser
Richmond, B.C.  CANADA           (800) 663-8279 (US only)