Re^2: Dynamic Inode lists

Per Erik Sundberg ps at diab.se
Wed Apr 12 16:39:48 AEST 1989

This is how we do it in our SYSV-ish system:
We use mkfs to build the indirect blocks along with the ilist.
So there is an inode describing the ilist... And a file name!
As long as the specified/default number of inodes are used, accesses
are done the usual way within the continous part of the ilist.
No penalty.
When that number is exceeded, the ilist is allowed to grow, but now
accesses are done the hard way through indexing.
Benefits are twofold:
No hard limit on ilist size.
Easy access to the ilist by an application program (for whatever reason).
--
Per-Erik Sundberg,  Diab Data AB
SNAIL: Box 2029, S-183 02 Taby, Sweden