Raw ethernet socket?

William C. Fenner wcf at psuhcx.psu.edu
Mon Apr 10 10:38:44 AEST 1989

  I'm trying to get an RWHO-like protocol going between our VAXCluster running
VMS and psuhcx, a Harris HCX-7 running HCX/UX 3.0 (yucky BSD4.2 / att mix).
Anyway, I tried the easy way, writing a program for the vaxen which recieved
and sent the UNIX style rwho packets.  Unfortunately, the VMS software
apparently doesn't support broadcasting messages or recieving broadcasts.
So that was out.  Someone else had come up with a program which opens the
ethernet directly from the VAXen and sends out his own style of packets.  That
works great for the vaxen, but what about the harris?  I can't seem to find a
way to open the ethernet directly, or any way to get a raw socket other than
a raw IP socket.

  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to either open a raw ethernet
socket from the harris, or any suggestions as to another way to do this?
(have one vax open a tcp connection to the harris, and send all it recieves?
yuck.)

  Thanks in advance,

    Bill Fenner