Monitoring physical memory usage on Sun OS 4.0

Ron Diaz rdiaz at presto.ig.com
Tue Apr 18 10:46:00 AEST 1989

I would like to know if anyone has written any tools
to monitor physical memory usage on a Sun 3/280 running
Sun OS 4.01.  I would like to find a way to monitor the
OS and verify the actual physical memory in use. The
standard tool, 'vmstat'  provides a real memory "free list"
size but what does this value reflect in relation to physical
memory?  Is this memory available for OS use only (paging etc.)
or is this memory up for grabs as user memory space?
I'm trying to find a way to monitor memory usage to
size the kernel accordingly.   Oh yes, I've talked with
Sun software support but they didn't provide any insights
on this matter.   Please send me replies directly and I'll
post the summary.  Thanks in advance,

Ron Diaz	( rdiaz at presto.ig.com )
IntelliGenetics
700 East El. Camino Real