German posting translated!

Larry McVoy lm at snafu.Sun.COM
Fri Apr 7 12:23:53 AEST 1989

Someone posted a german article so I sent it off to a friend - here's his
response.

> Hallo,
>
> da haettest du mich direkt fragen koennen. Es gibt meines Wissens ueberhaupt
> nur 3 Anbieter von Unix (bzw. Xenix). Die einzige echte Unix SysV R2
> Implementation kommt von Microport.
>
> Da habe ich saemtlich Angebote hier. Die andere vernuenftige Alternative ist
> SCO Xenix. Ueber den TCP/IP support weiss ich nur, dass er angeboten wird.
> Ob Host based mit dummen Controllern (3com usw.) weiss ich aber nicht. Das hat
> vermutlich aber auch recht wenig Sinn. 80286 Systeme haben nur segmentierten
> Speicher und koennen daher nur swappen.
>
> Ich hoffe du denkst nicht daran das Mail gateway ueber einen 80286'er laufen
> zu lassen. Du bekommst heute schon extrem guenstige 386 mit Unix SysV R3.
>
> Thomas

Hello,

You should have asked me directly. As far as I know, there are only three
companies which offer Unix (respectively Xenix). The only real Unix SysV R2
Implementation is from Microport
I have all offers here. The other plausoible Alternative is SCO Xenix. The
only thing of TCP/IP support I know, is that it is offered. However I don't
know whether host based with stupid Controllers (3com etc.) That probably
doesn' make to much sense anyhow. 80286 based systems only have segmentented
storage and thus can only swap.
I hope you don't think to let the Mail gateway run over a 80286. You can get
already some cheap  386 with Unix SysV R3.
Thomas

That's 113 words * $0.25 per word = 28.25, for you DUDE $25.00, for Sun
Microsystems $25.00 plus $222.00 Labor at an hourly rate of $110.00 with a two
hour minimum.

Bernd

Larry McVoy, Lachman Associates.			...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com