SysV directory file is garbaged & I can't rm -r it. Suggestions?

Admin root at tree.UUCP
Sat Apr 29 16:30:38 AEST 1989

fsck made a complaint about not having a "." or ".." in I=3130 so
I ran ncheck to get a closer look.  The directory file for /usr/spool/news/
news/misc was filled with lots of rubbish and that's it.  Obviously when I
cd misc I found I couldn't get out without cd /usr/spool/news/news.

What should I do?  There are obviously going to be news articles in that
directory; It would be nice to know of a way to save them but mainly I just
want to get rid of the cancer-ridden directory file before the problem possibly
spreads.  I tried rm -r but that (understandably) failed.

I was going to run clri but thought I'd be wise to ask advise before I get
into something over my head so for now I just did a mvdir and removed
permissions.  The contents of this directory aren't really valuable, but
for future reference it would be nice to know whether it would be a major
production to save the "contents"...perhaps with fsdb?

Please *EMAIL* advice.  Thanks.
--------
ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!tree!root  ames!pacbell!sactoh0!tree!root